Have a Healthy and Happy New Year!
Celebrate the season with this Italian classic, Vin Brule a version of mulled wine.
1 liter and a half of red wine
3 cinnamon sticks
250 grams of sugar
10 or 12 cloves
1 pinch of nutmeg
– Wash the oranges and lemon thoroughly. Zest the entire peel lightly, being careful not to include any of the white flesh as it will make the wine bitter. Wash the apple and cut it in half. Remove the core and slice the apple into 6 or 7 rings from top to bottom.
– Add the wine to a non-reactive, heavy pan like an enamel-lined dutch oven with the cinnamon sticks, sugar, cloves, citrus zest, and apple slices. Add a pinch of nutmeg.
– Stir the liquid slowly with a wooden spoon for about a minute to blend all ingredients together before turning on the heat. Bring the mixture to a bare simmer, stirring slowly, but constantly for 10 minutes. Be careful not let it come to a full boil as it will affect the flavor. The sugar should dissolve completely during this time.
– You can filter contents through a strainer or choose to ladle the mulled wine with it’s contents in to your mugs, depending on your preference.
– Cover the pan or dutch over to keep the remaining vin brule warm for seconds.